Cabinet cancels meeting in the face of doctor shortage, job losses
March 16, 2017
For immediate release.
HALIFAX – Cabinet has once again cancelled its weekly meeting with no explanation. Since the new year, Cabinet has been meeting every other week instead of the usual once per week.
“Given the crisis in primary care, the recent job losses in the province, and the upcoming budget, there seems to be a lot that Cabinet could be discussing,” said NDP Leader Gary Burrill. “Families waiting for health care and people who have recently lost their jobs can’t afford to wait for Stephen McNeil to decide these issues are important enough to meet about.”
Numbers released by Statistics Canada last week show that Nova Scotia lost 1,200 full-time positions and 5,500 part-time positions, between January and February. Nova Scotia was one of only two provinces that had fewer people working this month compared to last month.
The Premier has yet to provide any plan for addressing the 100,000 people without a family doctor. Last week, it was revealed that the waitlist for doctors had ballooned from 6,000 to 25,000.
“How effective can a Cabinet be that meets so little and so briefly? The McNeil Liberals are more concerned with press releases and funding announcements than getting to work on solutions to the issues facing the people of our province,” said Burrill.
For more information, contact Kaley Kennedy at 902-229-6881 or firstname.lastname@example.org.