McNeil government cuts children’s dental program
April 8, 2015
Thousands of 15-year olds have lost access to dental care as a result of the McNeil government’s cut to the Nova Scotia Children’s Oral Health Program.
Under the program, announced in the summer of 2013, all eligible children 17 and under were to have MSI coverage for dental care by the spring of 2017. However, the McNeil government didn’t follow through with a previously announced expansion of the program on April 1st of this year, restricting it to youth 14 and under.
NDP Leader Maureen MacDonald says this is just another example of the Liberals not having their priorities straight when it comes to health care.
“It’s well established that proper dental care for children and youth prevents serious complications that can occur in adults,” says MacDonald. “The Premier and his health minister need to explain why they have broken this very important government promise without any formal public announcement.”
In August 2013, Stephen McNeil said the previous government’s decision to expand children’s dental care to children 17 and under was a “good one” his government would support if elected.