McNeil government plans to raise $1.5 million in home care fees
August 6, 2015
NDP Health critic Dave Wilson says the McNeil government needs to explain how it plans to generate $1.5 million in home support fees this year.
“Last week the McNeil government was very vague about their plans for changes to continuing care. They say they want to hear from Nova Scotians first but it’s clear some decisions have already been made,” says Wilson.
This spring, on budget day, the McNeil government released a document outlining the results of their yearlong program review (see attached). The document identifies areas where the government intends to find savings or generate revenue in the 2015-2016 budget year. The document states $1.5 million will be generated from ‘Change in home support fees’ and another $500,000 from ‘Home care RFP’s savings’.
“The government has identified a specific amount of money they intend to generate by changing home support fees and it’s time for them to explain that,” says Wilson.
Wilson says in order for meaningful consultation to happen around the government’s plans for changes to continuing care the government needs to be forthcoming about options they are considering.
“If the government is planning to ask seniors to pay more for home care or long-term care they need to be up front with Nova Scotians about that,” says Wilson.