Mancini raises concerns over incarceration rates for African Nova Scotians and Aboriginal people

May 20, 2016

For Immediate Release

May 20, 2016

Halifax, NS – A document obtained by the NDP Caucus shows the rate of incarceration for African Nova Scotians and First Nations in provincial correctional facilities is dramatically disproportionate to the share of the population of these communities.  This information was not previously publicly available.

African Nova Scotians comprise about 2% of the total population, but make up 14% of adults in provincial custody and 16% of youth.  Aboriginal people comprise about 4% of the population but 7% of adults and 12% of youth in provincial custody are aboriginal.

“These numbers show a disturbing level of overrepresentation of African Nova Scotians and Aboriginal people in provincial correction facilities,” says Marian Mancini, NDP Justice Critic. “The numbers are from the government’s own data but we don’t see any action plan to address this problem from the Liberal government.”

“Recent events in the South Shore and Halifax show the need for Nova Scotia to get serious about addressing racism in our province.  The NDP urges the Liberal government to develop a plan to address disparities in the justice system,” Mancini said.

ATTACHMENT: Rates of Incarceration

– 30 –


For more information please contact Kyle Buott at (902) 266-2068