Sackville - Cobequid
51 Cobequid Rd, Suite 105
Lower Sackville, NS
MLA Office: 902-864-0396
Dave Wilson has lived in Sackville for over 30 years. Voters in Sackville-Cobequid first elected Dave to the Legislature in 2003 and he was re-elected in 2006, 2009 and 2013.
As Minister of Health and Wellness until 2013, he worked hard to bring better care sooner to families across Nova Scotia, by opening more Collaborative Emergency Centres, reversing the drastic cuts to children’s dental care made by the Liberals, helping recruit more rural doctors and reducing ambulance fees for low-income Nova Scotians and for seniors with mobility issues.
Before his election, Dave was a well-respected, dedicated health care professional. He worked for 8 years as a paramedic in the community of Sackville.
As an opposition MLA, Dave has performed the critic roles for Heritage and Culture, Tourism, Heritage Act, and Housing and Communications until August 2005, when he was named the critic for Health.
He sits on several committees in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly including:
* Public Accounts
* Veteran Affairs (vice-chairman)
Dave contributes to the community through his volunteer work with local organizations:
* Volunteered as a firefighter with the Sackville Fire Department and with HRM Fire and Emergency Services
* Has held several key executive positions with the Sackville Volunteer (vice-chairman) Firefighters
* Educates local elementary students and local Boy Scout / Girl Guide groups on the emergency health system
* Volunteer for the last 16 years for Remembrance Day Poppy Campaign
* Volunteer at community events providing medical treatment
* Volunteer for the camp day at local Tim Hortons
* Volunteer for the Nova Scotia Firefighters Burn Treatment Society
* A supporter of such charities as the Cobequid Service Centre, Beacon House, IWK Children’s Hospital, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Big Brothers and Sisters
* An associate member of the Royal Canadian Legion, Calais Branch 162, Lower Sackville
* Held the position of Provincial Treasurer for the NOVA Scotia College of Paramedic
Dave was educated at Sackville High School and Saint Mary’s University. He received his Diploma as an Emergency Medical Technician at the School of Allied Health – School of Emergency Health Services at the Victoria General Hospital, Halifax.
Dave and his wife Penney have two young children: Jacob and Taylor.