Chester - St. Margaret's
3794 Highway 3, RR 1, Unit 4,
Chester, NS, BOJ 1J0
MLA Office: 902-279-3378
Denise Peterson-Rafuse was elected to the Legislative Assembly in 2009 and re-elected in 2013. She served as the Minister of Community Services and Minister of Seniors until 2013.
A strong voice for seniors, Denise helped advance many issues during the NDP’s first term in government, including:
- Opening nearly one thousand new long-term care beds.
- Ensuring that nearly 18,000 low-income seniors who receive Guaranteed Income Supplement pay no provincial income tax.
- Expanding the Caregiver Benefit, restorative care and self-managed programs to allow seniors to manage their own care and stay in their homes and communities longer.
- Increasing the Property Tax Rebate for seniors by $200 to a maximum of $800. Seniors receiving the GIS may qualify for a rebate on their municipal property taxes.
- Ending the injustice of having seniors pay security deposits for long term care.
Denise is a lifelong resident of Chester. Before becoming an MLA, she was Program Coordinator for the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia in Hants, Lunenburg, Queens and Shelburne counties. She has also worked as a mortgage consultant for Premiere Mortgage Centre and she worked for the Halifax Regional Municipality for 10 years.
Denise has volunteered on many Chester Municipal Council Committee and ran for a seat on Chester Municipal Council in 2004.
Denise is married to Wayne and they have a son, Brandon.