NDP

NDP Announce Funding to Repair, Renovate Child Care Centres

September 18, 2009


Child-care centres across the province have an opportunity to create a more safe and comfortable environment for Nova Scotia’s children.

The Department of Community Services will provide $1 million for eligible day cares to spruce up facilities.

Licensed non-profit and commercial child-care centres can apply for funding to make improvements, such as replacing windows, installing accessibility ramps and adding energy efficient furnaces.

“The early years are critical to a child’s successful development,” said Community Services Minister Denise Peterson-Rafuse, today, Sept. 18. “An investment to improve the places where many Nova Scotia children learn and play will benefit families, children and child-care professionals.”

Provided under the Nova Scotia Early Learning and Child Care Plan, the repair and renovation funding provides financial assistance to child-care centres to enhance properties.

Non-profit centres may be eligible for a 75 per cent forgivable loan, with the remaining 25 per cent provided through an equity contribution or a low-interest repayable loan from the Department of Community Services.

Commercial centres are eligible for a 25 per cent forgivable loan, with the remaining 75 per cent provided through an equity contribution, third-party funding, or a low-interest repayable loan from the department.

Applications for funding must be received by the Department of Community Services by Oct. 30. More information is available on the department’s website at www.gov.ns.ca/coms/families/ELCCProgram.html .

The Early Learning and Child Care Plan will add more child-care spaces, increase the number of child-care subsidies available, and provide support for the province’s child-care sector.